Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Path

I have talked to a number of people in the last twenty years or so who have told me that they are on a spiritual path. I wondered what that path consisted of, but was unable to learn what it is. What does it mean to be on a spiritual path? As I look at the subject, I wonder if I’m on one. I wonder if those who have told me that they were on a spiritual path really understood what they were talking about? When I look at the subject realistically, I believe that only a few of them really understand what a spiritual path is all about. Not all people really know what it is they are saying. I know a woman in California who was bragging about being spiritual not religious. I asked her what she meant by that and she couldn’t answer me. I had the feeling that she was just repeating what she heard other people saying that sounded good to her.


For me, to be on a spiritual path means that I have a belief in the Creator, I read the Bible, I believe in Jesus and read spiritual books written by some very spiritual and saintly people. But I think that there is more to it than that. I think that we as humans must go the extra mile by living the teachings of Christ, not those of man. It has been said that we have a Christ like nature within us and we need to learn how to express it. Again, I’m not sure of what is meant by that, but I’m trying to.


When we live as man has dictated, we are living a materistic life and that life is a life of sorrow. We have forgotten what the Creator has given us. The Creator has given us this world to be a part of its nature. Living by the Laws of Nature that govern everything in existence. Without those laws there would be total chaos on earth. Everything would be “doing its own thing” in that there would be nothing to control it or make it work together as a unified whole. Is this what it means to be on a spiritual path? To live in harmony with all life, living by natural law and doing what is right, loving and charitable?


We each have our own idea of what it means to be on a spiritual path, but do we really know what that path is all about?

No comments: