Monday, May 3, 2010

Truth or Not

Truth is a subject in which every one has an opinion. Webster’s Dictionary says that truth is (1) the true or actual state of a matter. (2) Conformity with fact, or reality.

A person often expresses their truth in many ways. For example in a conversation, and even though the person is sincere doesn’t mean that it was taken that way by the recipient.

Far too often we are misunderstood and this causes problems that can end a friendship, or even break up families.

It is sometimes is big problem getting ones truth across to another person especially when that person has little or no respect for the person presenting their truth. It doesn’t matter whether the person presenting his/her truth has graduated from high school or even has a PhD. No amount of respect can be garnered. So what is a person to do?

There is no real answer to this question but to say – forget it. Don’t waste any more time or energy on trying to get your truth across to that person or persons.

I believe that a thing like this happens to countless million of people everyday. I wish that I had an easy answer for them, but I don’t.

As a minister, I am supposed to have all the answers – especially when it happens to me. I could quote the Bible, the Koran or some other spiritual book, but little will come from my quotations no matter what I do. You may say that I have a problem – between my left and right ear. I don’t thing so. I have dealt with people of all ages, personalities and faiths. I enjoy getting along with all of them. But sometime a person will come “out of the woodwork” that has taken something I may have said all wrong. We need to sit down and clear the air.

For example, when person (B) says to you that they don’t remember something that took place some time ago, doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen. Some people will simply denigrate the truth and often start a campaign to discredit person (A). Just because a person forgets something, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. When a person tries to right a wrong, it is the responsibility of both parties to either let “bygones-be-bygones, or just walk away. Maybe that is the best thing to do… Some friendships are over and just cannot be reestablished no matter what.

All of us want to be understood and express ourselves so that others understand us, and that we are not misunderstood. We want to be understood and not lose a friendship over something that should have never happened in the first place.

I believe that we are all in the same boat. We just don’t ask enough questions and far too often we don’t try to understand the other person. Sometimes we have judged that other person and no matter what it just doesn’t matter. We MUST be ready to get to the truth by talking it over and be willing to give other the benefit of the doubt.

I hope that this short article will make you think a little and take the time to make calls, emails or even write a letter to the person you may have misunderstood in order that the truth can come out. Maybe a friendship can be saved because the individuals involved can come to an understanding and all will be well. The truth must always be expressed and understood.

No comments: