Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Listening

Who speaks? It is I. And who are you that you should speak? I am one who is speaking, but hopefully not as sounding brass while making a good impression upon your mind.

Do you come in the name of God? or as another? I wonder. We talk and talk and talk. But does anyone listen to us? Again I wonder.

There is a time in the life of a person when they just wish/want someone, anyone to just listen to you for just a minute. It is a time when we need it the most – a time when our troubled hearts are full of need. We pray. We sing. We speak out to our God. We even talk to others, but is anyone really listening?

I have been thinking about this problem for some time and it is obvious to me that it is a problem for a large number of people. Some people listen to others because if they don’t, they are libel to loose their spouse, their jobs, or their supposed place in society.

Each one of us contributions to the growth of our parents, brothers, sisters and other family members and friends. We make contributions to those we work with, ride with on plains, buses or metros, and eat with at a restaurant or coffee shop.

We make contributions to their well being in that for only a moment we make them feel that they are truly appreciated and wanted and that their words are important. We listen to them; they listen to us, and maybe give us the satisfaction of knowing that we are being heard. How do you give to others? Do you give of your time and energy? Do you give them your ear for a moment? Or do you just make funny faces that say, “I am listening to you, but all that you are saying to me is totally meaningless.” You soon forget them knowing that that the person who spent so much time talking was wasting their time with you.

Who are you? Are you a friend, or foe? Is your life so wrapped up in you that you cannot be a friend, a good listener, a pal? I wonder if I’m one of those that I’m talking about in this paper. I wonder if others are trying to take advantage of me and try to make me into the person that they think that I should be so that they have something to complain about if I don’t comply with their dictates. I am an individual who has a life apart from others and I need you as I hope you need me. We need to listen to each other, call one another, take the time to really listen to one another and respond to others with love, and understanding. Maybe, just maybe, we will learn something we didn’t know before.

How can we live with other people in our lives? Can we? You decide. I know what I think about all of this.

I hope that you will think on these things and not think that it is only me, that I have the problem with, and that it has nothing to do with you. We are all involved in life on this planet called earth and we, as individuals are important and needed. I need you, and I hope you need me, if only to have you listen to me for a moment and for me to listen to you with love and understanding for a moment.

No comments: